Threes fly the flag with back to back wins

The Threes picked up a league and cup double over the weekend in what was, otherwise, another disappointing weekend for our sides.

A last over finish on the Saturday saw the 25 points head to Mill Lane as YMA failed to chase down Sileby’s 156, falling short by three runs with four balls to spare.

Pete Willcocks scored the only fifty of the day with a patient 61 as his side suffered a couple of familiar collapses as they slipped from 90 for 1 to 106 for 5 and then 137 for 5 to 156 all out with only four of the side making it to double figures. Mohamed Fazal Nissar was the pick of the visitors attack as he claimed 4-5 on a dry and turning track.

Both innings’ followed similar paths as two decent stands for the first two wickets were followed by wobbles as 65 for 1 became 75 for 4 as Harry Sharman, who had also added valuable runs at the end of the Sileby innings, in good rhythm and producing some superb seam bowling. He picked up 4-48 to remove the YMA middle order.

Despite Sharman’s best efforts, the visitors seemed to be in a good place with just 20 runs needed from the last ten overs before two enforced bowling changes, with both Sharman and Thomas Blay (1-34) having bowled out, saw the opening pair of Luke Hands (2-40) and Dave King (3-20) coming back in to the attack.

The pair put the brakes on immediately and with the scoring going nowhere the wickets began to come. Hands had Ateeq Ur Rehman caught in the 40th over off a big top edge, with Sharman showing safe hands in the covers, and then King bowled Omar Mukhtar (11) and had Kaleem Khan caught at backward point by Willcocks (2).

The 44th over from Hands was near perfect with only two runs scored leaving four needed from the final over. Nadeem Khan chipped the first ball of the final over agonisingly over the head of sub fielder Billy Lovett. They didn’t have to wait much longer, however, as Nazim Valimia had a charge down the wicket from the second ball, nicking it to Sean Dudley behind the stumps in the process, who effected the stumping for good measure, to send his teammates into raptures.

On a high from the day before, batting proved to be more a little easier, after a slow start, with Robert Scullion (finally) registering a senior century.

The right hander carried his bat for 121, including 18 fours and a maximum, as he shared in a third wicket stand of 156 with Danny Hill (60), who registered his first fifty for the club following his winter move from Mountsorrel.

Sileby’s 232 for three proved to be a competitive target for their visitors, Great Glen, to aim for – one that they ultimately didn’t get close to.

Sam Gale, making his first appearance of the season, bagged 4-26 while the remaining wickets were spread around. The 106 run win helped Sileby move on to the semi finals where they will have another home tie, this time against Division 4 Central rivals Highfield Rangers on 8 July.

Written by

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.