Mixed opening weekend for Sileby sides

It was a real mixed bag of results and performances for the Sileby sides that took the field on the opening weekend of their respective league seasons – although there were some notable successes.

Despite having been cuising towards their target of 226 to beat Barkby on Saturday an all too familiar pattern of losing wickets just as a partnerships were getting going put the skids under the First XIs bid for an opening day victory.

Dave Torr top scored with 73 as Sileby ultimately fell just three runs short on 223 for 9 when a win, draw and a defeat were all on the cards going in to the final over.

Earlier in the piece Jigar Naik, in his first competitive game as captain, returned figures of 4-23 while Leicestershire’s Dieter Klein, who was making his Sileby debut, picked up his first Sileby scalp.

It was very much like groundhog day on the Sunday, albeit a successful outcome this time, as the Firsts inched home in the National Knockout and made the second round for the first time thanks to a two wicket win against Derbyshire league side Ticknall.

The visitors to Mill Lane, who were skippered by former Derbyshire pro Paul Borrington, were grateful to Sam Trotman for some late order resistance as his unbeaten 52 helped his side to 165 for 9. He had helped drag Ticknall from 83 for 8 with just over 16 overs to go to post a respectible target.

The evergreen Matt Ellis made the initial incisions and worked well in tandem with leg spinner Umar Afzal as the pair accounted for the first eight wickets to fall with the duo claiming 4-11 and 4-24 respectively from their allocated nine overs.

Sileby looked well placed at 110 for 3 but then lost wickets in clumps as Liam Kinch‘s hard earned 50 looked like it could have been in vain. However, some late order resiliance from Chris Trevis (13 not out) and Ellis (11 not out) saw their side home with over five overs to spare.

Things didn’t go right for the Seconds from the get go as pace spearhead Yohannes Lamontagne was ruled out in the warm up and things got gradually worse from there.

The Langtons posted 224 for 9, with Trevis taking 3-43, but the Sileby reply never really got started, despite 33 from Mitchell Buck, and Trevis got some valuable time in the middle, which would come in handy the following day, with 28 as the visitors were bowled out for 125.

The Threes also registered a losing draw with their batting being underpinned by two of their youngsters. Will Legg, on debut, top scored with 75 and Chris Yates notched 40 in Sileby’s 169 for 8 in reply to Electricity Sports 2s 192 for 8 – Nathan Preston being the pick of the bowlers with 4-57.

While Saturday brought draws and a defeat, Sunday brought three wins.

The First XIs foray in to the second round of the National Knock Out sees them travel to Walsall in the next round and while their victory did nothing for the nerves of the Sileby supporters, the wins for the Sunday XI and Ladies were less frought.

Lewis Burnip turned in a stellar all round performance with 86 with the bat and finished things off with 3-12 with the ball as Sileby set British Shoe 209 to win after being bowled out with one ball remaining.

Skipper Chris Preston picked up 4-32 and Will Rossiter 3-32 as the visitors were dismissed for 176.

Finally, it was a good day for another captain as Vicky Lay registered a win in her first game as captain of the Ladies as they won the local derby with Ibstock Vixens at a canter.

Linzi Webster top scored with an unbeaten 73, Molly Rossiter added 68 and Sarah Parker 42 not out as Sileby posted 246 for 5. Tight bowling and fielding ensured that Ibstock were restricted to 60 for 5 in reply.

Written by

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.